Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Will movie online blow up big?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Halsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Hollywood will be puting $$$ in online movies soon.Do you think this will help filmmaker to make Big money,superstars,like we have in film and Tv?I think it will,I am not saying this is good or bad,I just want some of the action.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No, online movies will never be anything. And I really don't think that Hollywood will be putting in big bucks into online movies. Most I've seen were pretty bad. I doubt any directors or actors are going to get discovered through online movies.

    -Ivan

    ------------------
    "A place for everything and everything in it's place".

  3. #3
    Inactive Member andy_winton's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 1999
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have to agree with lamind. Like the
    'get rich quick' schemes, it's only the
    guy who sells the book on how to get
    rich who makes a buck. (I would have
    said pound or quid, but I didn't want
    to confuse our cousins.)

    Likewise, it's the guys selling the
    advertising space on web sites who
    make money, not the people buying the
    advertising space.

    Sorry to be cynical. Heck, prove me
    wrong. Go to http://www.wintonfilms.co.uk/
    download all my videos then buy the
    music album from the site. Go on,
    prove me wrong.

    In fact, if you buy the album on line,
    I'll tell you how to get rich quick! :-)

    lots of fun,

    andy


  4. #4
    Inactive Member Xendar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    268
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wouldn't discount the power of online movies so easily. This is the playground of you & I at the moment. The place where we can have our movies shown, and where new and exciting talent can be found.
    With the speed of internet access ever increasing so will the quality. I know that the current quality leaves a lot to be desired, but in 5 or 10 ten years time things like movie rental will become a thing of the past. Pay-per-view online will replace video rental. It may even replace satellite, in fact it probably will. Eventually you'll purchase your films as a download. Internet web streaming is still in it's infancy at the moment, but it is already huge, and getting bigger.

    If you don't believe me... just watch and see.



    ------------------
    Mark Smith
    Neon Films - Low / No budget films in West Yorkshire
    www.neonfilms.freeserve.co.uk

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Rabid_Communist's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2000
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As long as the online world of film stay the realm of the short film, then I'll be happy. Places like Media Trip, and iFilm have some really great stuff (for high bandwith folk that is...) and people are getting discovered.

    What I don't like is the idea of the internet becoming the delivery system for film. That's bad mojo, in my opinion...

    And digital theaters <shudder>. Don't get me started.

  6. #6
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    The internet has already proved its marketting power (Blair Witch Project) Every big film now always has an accompanying website.
    However marketting is different from actually buying videotapes, or cinema tickets.
    It will get faster, it will deliver full length films, as neatly as watching on DVD.
    Where the studio's stand in this is a good question, since a free online movie (or a CD copy of a download...Napster anyone?) doesnt stand to make much money.
    We are living through the digital revolution, this has already changed many peoples lives, and left many behind (Beware The DIGITAL DIVIDE).
    Perhaps once the initial excitement dies down the standard of films on the web will be pretty poor, perhaps they will simply be promos (even full length feature promo's) for a completely different multiplex experience.
    Face it, its cheap and easy for a studio to knock out a pretty good digital film. But no-where to watch it properly yet.
    They still need to sell something, to pay actors, and hire locations..blah blah, to makethat big exciting film.
    I suspect that some bright spark will come up with a 'new' experience (such as a 5 hour cineplex extravaganza), which becomes 'the product' and that the web becomes used as a way of delivering exciting trailers (even if they are an hour long)...to make you spend your money on the extravaganza.
    There will be tasters and teasers, titbits on your favourite characters. Extra stories, what they did after the 'extravaganza', what they did before. Stuff to flesh out the world that has been created.
    Kind of like Disney land really I guess.
    Having said that nothing beats going to the cinema to watch a film. Remember when cinema sales went down when Video arrived. Only to slowly climb back up again.
    Its more fun to watch a new release in the cinema than at home on a small screen.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Halsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    I agree with you Eddie,online will be part of the media,but it want take out the Theater,if it is a good movie we will rush to the movie house.A ok movie online,wait for TV,rent.Hollywood should not worry about online if they make better movies.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    An on-line blockbuster has yet to be defined.

    Troops and 405TheMovie are good, but are not blockbusters - but they have ppl talking.

    But imagine a time where everone has broadband video, home cinema and HUGE screens that you can hang on your wall. Would you want to see a film in the cinema then, when you could just invite a few friends round to watch the rich pickings on whatever the internet is called then.

    I believe cinema will 'die' in the same way as stage theatre - not wholly, but it will become like playing vinyl records.

    Of course, we've been here before. Cinema slumped in the 80s with the advent of VHS, but ppl soon realised that VHS was crap.

    But I hope to see (and hear and feel) the defining moment in digital media entertainment. I don't think it will be too far away from my outline.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member stop_thief's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2000
    Posts
    124
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "But imagine a time where everone has broadband video, home cinema and HUGE screens that you can hang on your wall. Would you want to see a film in the cinema then, when you could just invite a few friends round to watch the rich pickings on whatever the internet is called then."

    I see what you all are saying but let us remember the population in general. Even if all these goodies(or call them what you may) are available, it doesn't mean the money or the space is.
    Not everyone will suddenly be able to afford the proper equipment to have that home theatre experience...and not everyone will have the ROOM for a cinema-sized screen.

    I feel theatres will be along for much longer, due simply to physical boundaries.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Matt J Heaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2000
    Posts
    430
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't think home systems will ever replace the cinema.


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •